The overall objective of the capacity development program in Myanmar is to empower a critical mass of urban development stakeholders to better address pro-poor sustainable urban development. The program aims particularly to promote the principles of sustainability, poverty reduction, gender equality, public participation and transparency/accountability.
Specific objectives are:
• Increased awareness on the importance of sustainable urban development as an urgent sector in the Myanmar context, and the need for supportive policies.
• Improved capacity for urban planning, with emphasis on strategic planning, spatial/land use planning, infrastructure investment planning and prioritization.
• Improved capacity for urban development, through project development, impact assessment, financing, procurement and implementation.
• Improved capacity of sustainable urban design solutions.
• Improved capacity for urban management, through operations and maintenance of basic services, building control, traffic management, revenue collection etc.
• Ensuring long-term support for urban knowledge and capacity development